I was very intrigued by the thought of using avocado in cakes instead of butter and especially mixing it with chocolate. I must say when I tried to mash those two together before adding any other ingredients it was disgusting. Obviously when adding ingredients, you can’t guess I used avocado!
Getting the right texture was difficult and I didn’t get it right the first time. If I wouldn’t decide to freeze them, they’d stay too soft and squishy. And messy 👀
- 1 avocado
- 80gr cocoa powder + extra for topping
- 250gr ground almonds
- approx. 10 dates, chopped up
- 6tbsn Agave nectar or sweetener of your choice (honey, maple syrup, rice malt syrup, etc)
- A punnet of raspberries (200gr)
- For this whole recipe of 20 truffles I just used a food proccessor and a spatula.
- Mash your avocado in a medium sized bowl.
- Sift your cocoa powder and mix with the avo. Don’t try to taste it at this point 😖If you see little green bits peeking through when finely mixed, take them out.
- Even with just a fork, mash the raspberries into the mixture.
- Start adding the ground almonds and agave nectar in turns. The mixture will get really sticky but will hold together. You can always add more cocoa powder or ground almonds, especially if you decide to sweeten it more.
- Then add your finely chopped dates. The consistancy should be fine enough to roll balls. Once you have them, roll them into a bowl with the extra cocoa powder just for light dusting.
- I recommend freezing the truffles in an airtight container. They can be eaten within 5 minutes so don’t worry about any waiting time 😜 I would just personally get worried about the avocado getting bitter if left in the fridge for a few days. And you can see below yourself the frozen one on the left looks better👇🏼