What do you do if you have leftover Chia Jam? BAKE MORE CAKE 🙊
Can’t eat plain jam duh🙄🍯
So I thought I would try bakery style Spelt Muffins and top them up with jam
Just look at those bad boys! Spelt flour isn’t 100% Gluten free, it is a wholegrain flour that is however much healthier than plain flour, containing more fiber and protein than the usual flours. I find baking with Spelt flour is very versatile and goes explicitly well with bananas. And applesauce. And jam. And chocolate chips. And icing.
Okay, I’ll stop. I was getting a bit too carried away😇
Anyways back to the muffins. These little beauties remind me of a bakery style muffin, that is super soft and moist and is great with a filling/ or topping of jam or adding any fillings. It’s a super easy one-bowl recipe if you’re feeling like making something quick and simple.
What you need for the muffins:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsn melted coconut oil
- 3-4 tbsn applesauce (I found it from Biona, Ocado sells this)
- 1 cup spelt flour, heaped
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1/2 tspn bicarb of soda
- 1/2 tspn cinnamon
- dash of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsn maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180*C.
- Mash the ripe bananas in a medium-sized bowl. If you don’t have ripe bananas, the trick is to place them on a tray in the oven at 160*C (or while the oven is heating up) for about 15 minutes once they turn black and are soft. BEST LIFE HACK EVER
- Add the eggs, melted coconut oil and applesauce and whisk together. You don’t need to be using an electric mixer, a whisk does the job.
- Add the spelt flour, baking powder, bicarb and cinnamon and mix.
- Once the flour is incorporated, add the vanilla and maple syrup.
- Fill the cases up to 3/4 and add the jam to the center of the muffins. I actually added the jam after 10 minutes of baking the muffins, however they sealed way too quickly and didn’t have enough of the jam in the middle, which would be much more divine that way.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
I didn’t wait for them to cool down, I even took the picture when there was steam coming out by how excited I was to try them.
Hope you like them! Give me thumbs up and share if you do.