Friends / Clients that have special requirements just makes my day much more exciting. I had to create a dairy free, nut free and egg free cake. How the *!#% can you replace egg 🥚 in cakes??! There are actually plenty of substitutes, but you need to have a little play around with them and add a bit more rather than just relying on one replacement. That’s how I see it and so far been right. It’s more like chemistry and experimenting in my lab 🔬 than baking 😜
So for these cupcakes I had to focus on making sure the batter will rise enough and still taste fluffy.
- 1/3 cup of sunflower oil
- 1 tsbn apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsbn vanilla
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tspn bicarb of soda
- 1/2-3/4 cup of granulated white sugar
- 2 tbsn applesauce
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, water, vinegar and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl measure the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet mix, preferably still beating at the same time.
- Add the applesauce and oat milk(can be almond milk or any dairyfree substitute).
- The consistency should be quite thick, you might need add a tbsn or 2 more of self-raising flour if not as in the picture below.
- Fill up your cupcake cases to 2/3 or in a 9″ cake tin. Bake in the oven for 30 mins at 170*C.
For the icing I would use Coconut Whipped Cream as I did for the cake, as I’m not a fan of fake ‘buttercream’ made from vegetable shortenening.
This is the final outcome 👇🏼