Remember the vegan vanilla cupcake recipe I posted over a month ago? If you don’t – shame on you! Go visit it here ⇒ Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes
Now that we’re on the same page, I can talk you through using this cupcake recipe and turning it into a birthday cake with dark chocolate chips, strawberry coconut whipped cream frosting and covered in dripping dark chocolate.
I have made a dairy free ‘buttercream’ using vegetable shortening before, however, I personally thought it was a bit gross and tasteless and wouldn’t hold the same texture as real buttercream does. I wanted to spare my friend the same experience and tried something new.
Coconut Whipped Cream is the yummiest dairy-free frosting alternative I ever ever ever had. It is the simplest thing to make and surprisingly holds better than normal whipped cream.
All you need is a chilled tin of full-fat coconut milk,1 small tin coconut cream, 2tbsn maple syrup and 1tspn vanilla extract(or 1 pod of vanilla bean)
- For a two layered 9″cake I used up about 3-4 tins of coconut milk. There was nough to put in between both layers and for me to test out 😬👩🏽🍳
- The coconut tins must be kept in the fridge overnight! You only use the top bit that’s separated from the water.
- Cream it with a mixer for about 5-10 minutes until it thickens.
- Then add maple syrup to your preference of sweetness- I only used about 3-4 tbsn. Add the vanilla extract and mix some of the coconut cream.
- Beat at a low speed until incorporated.
- You can add food coloring or flavoring as desired.
- Before icing the cake, I kept the whipped cream in the fridge for another half hour.
I think this is from now on my favorite icing even for non-vegan cakes😋!